So, you’re ready to propose and it’s time to buy the engagement ring! More than likely, you will want to surprise your girlfriend with a ring, so you may not want to ask her in advance what her ring size is. You may need to guess her finger size if you want it to be a complete surprise. Here are some great ideas collected from danforthdiamond.com that will help you make a pretty good guess.
1. Ask her friends or relatives. If your girlfriend has any inkling that you may be proposing in the near future, she may have told them her ring size.
2. Does she wear other rings? Does she occasionally remove them for showering, etc? Does she keep them in a jewelry box?
Option 1 – When she’s not around, temporarily “borrow” a ring that she wears on her ring finger and trace the inner part of the ring on a piece of paper. Be sure to return the ring immediately and then match your tracing to one of the ring sizes on the printable ring size chart. Or, match it to the FREE ring sizer.
Option 2 – Carry around a small bar of soap in your pocket. A hotel soap is the perfect size. When she’s not around, press the ring into the soap to make an imprint. Be sure to wipe the soap residue off the ring and return it to its proper place. When you’re alone, use the FREE ring sizer to match the imprinted circle. Just lay the ring sizer over the imprint and find the ring size that best fits the imprint.
Option 3 – Take her ring and place it on one of your fingers. Draw a line around your finger where the ring falls. Use the FREE ring sizer to measure the marked area on your finger.
Option 4 – Take the ring and slide it down a tapered candle. Mark the candle where it falls, then use the FREE ring sizer to measure the marked candle.
3. If you don’t plan on proposing for quite some time, present her with a lovely, but inexpensive fashion ring on her birthday or some romantic holiday. Giving her this ring can be “practice” for the real thing. And although you may not buy the right size initially, you will more than likely find out her correct finger size afterwards.
4. Find an accomplice! Get her mom or one of her friends, whoever would be appropriate (and trustworthy of your secret) to go shopping with her and get her to try on rings at any jewelry store. Everyone can get their fingers sized! They can excuse this as speculative fun, and your girlfriend may not suspect a thing.
5. Go shopping with her. Is there anyone else you could potentially say you’re picking out a ring for (a mother, grandmother, etc.)? That way, you could go ring shopping with her and get her to model different rings so you can see what they look like. You could discuss ring sizes, and then take this opportunity to get her finger sized at the store “just for kicks”. You will also be able to get a good sense of the styles of rings she prefers.
6. If she is a heavy sleeper, use the FREE ring sizer on her finger while she is sleeping.
7. Buy a fake ring…some $10 thing from a department store as a “surprise”. Then tell her you want to go shopping together for the real thing at DanforthDiamond.com. This way, she can pick the ring of her dreams, and in the correct size.
8. As a last resort, you could simply go with a size 6, which is the average finger size for the average-size woman in the U.S.
But just WHAT is the average size woman you ask? According to statistics, the average American woman is 5’4″ tall and weighs 140 pounds. Using this statistic, you may be able to make a good guess on your girlfriend’s finger size. Does she have a small, average or large frame? How much does she weigh? (Don’t ask her weight if you don’t know it…this could be dangerous if asked at the wrong time!). But do take notice of her frame, her weight and her hands. Also notice if she has large knuckles as well. Her fingers may be slender, but if her knuckles are large, she may need a larger ring to fit over the knuckle.
More than likely, if she is small-framed with slender fingers and weighs under 120 pounds, her finger size could range from a 4 to a 5. If she is larger-framed with thicker fingers and weighs over 150, a good guess may be in the 7-9 range. You will have to use your own judgment, but using these guidelines could be helpful to you in making an educated guess.
The average ring size for a man, by the way, is a 10, so if you are an average-size man (average medium frame being 5’10” with a weight of 180 pounds) with average-size hands, you may be able to use your own hand for comparison. If her hands are a lot smaller than yours, she may very well wear a size 4-5 on her ring finger.
We’d like to point out however, that EVERY woman is different, and there are no guarantees that figuring out her body type will correctly determine your girlfriend’s ring size. So, we don’t strongly advise going with this option. Ladies ring sizes can be as small as 4 and go up to a 10, so there’s lots of room for error using this method.
To play it safe, you can order the ring at its in-stock size, usually a 6 or a 7, and present it to your girlfriend. She can then determine the correct size she needs, and the ring may only need to be re-sized once, if at all.
Learn the Different Ring Sizes for All Her Fingers
If you regularly buy jewelry for another person such as your girlfriend, wife, daughter, etc. we’ve created a nifty Hand Chart that will help you keep track of her different ring sizes. This way, you will never have to ask her in the future, what ring size she wears!
Download a PDF of our Hand Chart for All Ring Sizes. If you are not able to download and printout this chart, you can easily create one yourself.
Have her trace the outline of both of her hands on a piece of paper. On each finger outline, have her write-in her correct finger size. You can use the FREE ring sizer from Danforth Diamond to size each finger. Because fingers are not always the same size on each hand, be sure to do BOTH hands.
Label them Left and Right and put her name at the top, along with the date. (Finger sizes can change over time due to age, weight gain or loss, and climate. So you may want to re-examine or update this hand chart every five years. File it away in special place, and you’ll be ready for every special occasion!
Create a hand chart for all the important women in your life!