Here is an article that was written by Jill Renee, president of Danforth Diamond. She wrote it after having several customers ask the customer service representatives for thoughts on how to propose.
Marriage Proposal Ideas for the Holidays
By Jill Renee
If you’ve been thinking about proposing to your sweetheart, the holidays can be a great time of year to do so. There is an electricity in the air in December as everyone prepares for the holidays; making plans to get together with friends and family, attending parties and giving to others.
One of the benefits of proposing marriage at this time of year is that family activities are inevitable. Proposing a day before a family gathering means you can share the exciting news with them in person the next day. Or you can take her parents aside to ask their permission in person and propose to her later.
Here are some ideas for how to integrate your marriage proposal into a holiday moment.
Christmas Proposal Ideas:
- Decorate the tree with lights and only one ornament – a ribbon or bow tied around a ring box.
- Write out your proposal in Christmas lights on your house.
- Write “Will you marry me?” with a Sharpie on the inside bottom of a box, fill it with balled-up tissue paper and then wrap is as a gift. She will dig through the tissue paper looking for the gift only to reveal your message.
- Make an advent calendar where each door she opens reveals a sentimental memory or reason you love her.
- On Christmas Eve, arrive at her house and when she answers the door, present the diamond engagement ring.
Chanukah Proposal Ideas:
- Give her 8 nights of romantic gifts with an engagement ring as the last night’s gift.
- If she’s a chocolate lover, give her a box of Kosher Godiva Truffles.
- If you feel like getting creative, you could dip real roses in chocolate and present her with your designed bouquet.
- Write out your proposal with rose petals in the snow.
- Purchase a “talking” or voice recording picture frame from RadioShack. Insert a picture of you and your sweetie and record your proposal for her to play back.
New Year’s Eve Proposal Ideas:
- If you’re at a party, work your proposal into the crowd’s big countdown to the New Year.
- At the stroke of midnight, tell her how much you love her and simply whisper, “Will you marry me?” Then you can celebrate the rest of the night by sharing the news with all of your friends.
- If parties and crowds aren’t your thing, you can plan the ultimate at-home proposal for midnight. Perhaps start the evening with a home-cooked meal by candlelight. Plan to watch a romantic movie, or even the New Year’s Eve countdown on television. When the ball drops in Times Square, hug her and propose.
- Even better…leave the television off, and ask her to slow dance to a favorite song. At the stroke of midnight or when the moment is right, look in her eyes, and ask.
Select the proposal method that will have you the most relaxed before you ask. And don’t worry – no matter what way you choose to propose, it will be a special moment.
And if you don’t have an engagement ring yet, visit our site for a great selection of diamond engagment rings.